LACE CURTAINS

Lace curtains: now there’s a tricky subject!
They can certainly bring to mind old, yellowed, why-don’t-you-take-them-down kind of curtains (usually seen in, dare I say, Grandmother’s house?). We were in an antique shop up in Vermont last summer where the owner had hung old, and I mean VERY old, lace curtains at some of the windows, and they were for sale. Well, these were really disgusting. They smelled of mildew; they were yellowed in a not so nice antique sort of way; the seams were totally frayed; and WHY anyone would actually pay for these was beyond me!

Then, we have the wonderful lace curtains you see in France! Ah yes: delicate, airy, often just covering the lower half of the window, held by adorable delicate rods that are often the kind that swing out. These are made in the true “atelier de dentelle” tradition. Does anyone remember the catalog “Rue de France”? I discovered it years back at the start of my Francophile-ness…. it went out of business about five years ago, but they carried a line of real French lace curtains. I had some and, thinking they would  be a available again, had given away two sets when I redid our bay window.

I’ve been looking ever since! At BHV in Paris last September I saw oh so many ready made styles and bolts of fabric. But translating the meters to inches, and not having the exact measurements with me, was too daunting…..

Fast forward to last week when the catalog arrived from Country Curtains! Yes, Country Curtains of REAL country looks (which doesn’t happen to be my style) has these new lace curtains.

I love this “Seaside Lace” trim and am thinking it would be nice on just the valence!

011350433a_dt

The “Tree of Life” is different…and would do well for flat panels:

010150431_dt

The “Bird Song” might be a more traditional look…

010150432_dt

I’ve been looking on line for other sources. Most of what you see is either polyester or the more sheer Scottish lace. The French is a thicker cotton that holds up well and just looks a bit more informal. They are also available in a real white which is the look I like! If you know of any other sources (other than going to France) please let me know….

signature2

Comments

1. My wedding veil was handmade Alencon lace. I wondered where she sourced her material. Perhaps you could contact a reputable veil shop and go from there?

2. My mother just got seaside trim lace curtains for her new home (appropriately situated on the beach!).

3. Send a picture???
    Libby Wilkie
    845.485.3279

4. We have loads of Rue de France curtains we are not currently using. We have switched homes. Let me know what you are interested in. We are 2 families that moved into one home and are storing the curtains at this time. The curtains were well taken care of and we have just about everything from the store/catalog.

5. Wonderful news! I am interested in your Rue de France curtains and other products. I have a few curtains from my last home that work in one spot in my new home, and would love to have them in other rooms. How can we make arrangements to visit?

6. Joanne Woodle says:

Do you have the Rue de France Doves pattern and in what sizes? I have them everywhere in my home but just changed a large window and need larger curtains.

7. Susan Stiles Dowell says:

Do you, perchance, have two pure white Rue de France roman shades 29.5 W x (approx) 70" L with a lace panel down the length of the middle? I bought one years ago and find it fits beautifully in the Victorian we just renovated but I need 2 more for the bathroom. These shades attach with velcro to the top of the window molding and look great. I live outside Baltimore.
    Thx,
    Susan

8. Lois Nielsen says:

I would really like to find at least one panel of the Rue de France heavy lace panels in Belle Fleur (the bursts of 5 "tulip-like" flowers) in the 94-96" length. I have 4 panels but am moving and would only be able to use them if I could find a 5th. They always claimed that it was one of their best-sellers, so I am hoping that somewhere, I will possibly be able to find at least

9. I'm looking for the filet crochet type Rue du France door-window panels. My mom had them in our cottage and I would love one for my kitchen door!
    You can email me at michael@imagodeo.com if you have any leads.

10. kelle rodrigues says:

hi, are any of these beautiful curtains still avialable?

11. I just listed a set of Rue De France lace curtains on my local craigslist here: http://bham.craigslist.org/hsh/2134063171.html. Please let me know if you are interested!!

12. I have been looking high and low for some of these beautiful dentelle curtains I saw all over Normandy and Brittany…with no luck. I've even been searching on French websites. I just bought a home and I always knew I would decorate the windows with the dentelle rideaux……I'm going crazy!

13. I have also been looking for years for the Rue De France lace curtains! I bought them for almost all the windows in my home back in 2003. Now 8 years later, they have become tattered on the bottom and top from washing. I would love to replace them! i have windows that range from 33 inches to 44 inches wide. About 72 inches long (rough guess!) I will take exact measurements later. I am open

14. Debbie Lathrop says:

I am looking for curtains that look like what you would find in Normandy. I'm not familiar with Rue de France, but if anyone has found a source in France, or elsewhere, I would love to know.

15. candacesinger@gmail.com says:

Looking for Rue de France blue checked valances — need 1 or 2. Thanks.

16. Hi all lace lovers. I wonder if anyone still has Rue de France curtains for sale. I am looking for one panel of an all over scroll pattern.

17. Beth,
    Any rue de France Roman shades left. I would love a few.